You made it to step 6! If you missed the last step you can find it here. If you follow our blog you know that we have been preaching about content for some time. And that is because creating unique content that your target audience can relate to and see value in is the rock upon which a successful online strategy sits. It is possible to produce traffic and strong rankings without great content, but the entire process will be an uphill battle.
So how can you create great content? You need to create something that impacts the reader. When a piece of content impacts your target audience you then get their attention. Attention leads to comments, shares, likes, and backlinks.
Create A Plan
- What kind of content are you going to share?
- What would your Target Audience want to see?
- How can you help? The more helpful you are, the more you will establish yourself as someone who cares and knows the market you are in!
- Avoid cookie-cutter blog posts
- Helpful guides
- Reviews of local businesses
- Interviews with local people of interest
- Charity Sponsorships
- Event guides
- Question and answer
- Before and after
- Interview with the owner
- Profile jobs your company has completed
Think Locally When You Create
If you want to rank well in your local area it is imperative that you show a genuine link to your local community!
- What local charities do you support?
- What ties your team members into the local community?
- What ties your business into the local community?
- What local organizations are you involved with?
- What local events does your business take part in?
Make Sure Not To Duplicate
This is a problem that runs rampant on the internet, duplicate content. In order to understand duplicate content, you need to understand how search engines work. When a search engine like Google catalogs a page, they send out little bots, commonly referred to as spiders to crawl every bit of information on every page of a website. Those bots look for everything from backlinks to every word you write in your blog. In an effort to keep the internet honest these spiders also look for duplicate content. The search engine will then take that duplicate content into account and will downgrade your ranking or in some cases even remove your site from their listings! If you have a new website it is especially important to look out for duplicate content, it is not uncommon for web developers to duplicate content with cookie cutter text from another site.
If you do find a great piece of content on the web that you want to share with your target audience, don’t copy and paste it. Rewrite the entire piece with your own style and flare, it is okay to use others ideas, but make sure to make it your own!
Well that’s it for Step 6. Now get out there and create some incredible content and we will see you back here next week for step 7! Remember that we are always here to help if you get stuck and you can contact us anytime!